Friday, February 02, 2007

I'm so Proud of National Service!

I am so proud to be a Singaporean, and I'm so proud of National Service!

Yesterday, my eldest son who is currently finishing his Full time National Service came to me and told me that his time serving our nation had been very well spent, and that he felt he had made a worthy contribution. That was one of my proudest moments as a father! To see my own son grow up and serve our Great Motherland with distinction, with a stout heart full of purpose and courage!

My youngest son will also be serving his full time National Service when he finishes his 'A' Levels. We are family of patriots. I know that each of us will gladly lay down our lives for our Great Motherland! Throughout these years I have been instilling in my young boys the noble cause of defending our country and the sacred duty of each and every Singaporean to be fiercely loyal to his nation.

I reminiscence about my own time in full time NS when I was a young lad, and I must say I have absolutely no regrets. I look at my own family whom I am protecting by taking up arms. I look at our nation's resources that I am protecting by serving wholeheartedly in the military. And I also look at all the foreigners who are able to enjoy life and take up jobs in our Great Motherland with peace of mind, because of Singaporeans like me who have risen to do our part for National Service. And I must say that my heart is filled with pride! Protecting our nation, protecting everyone who lives and works here whether it is Singaporeans or foreigners, is truly our most noble and sacred duty.

I am so glad Foreign Talents can settle down safely here, knowing that their precious lives are protected by loyal Singaporeans like myself and my sons! I am so proud of National Service, and of the enlightened PAP government (may the PAP progress!) which always acts in the best interests of our nation and always adopts a long term perspective to all issues.

Majulah Singapura!

Goh Bock Seng

No comments: